Not sure if VMware did not do the documentation properly OR I did not read it properly. It took me over 2-day to figure out how to setup vCloud Director to provide VM console access of VM to authorized user on Internet. The highlevel diagram is attached below. This might not be the best setup but works and makes sense to me.
The configuration on Firewall (I use ASA):
- Configure Static NAT for 172.16.8.10 to 220.127.116.11. So user on Internet can access 18.104.22.168 to login to vCloud Director portal
- Configure identity NAT between External and LAN interfaces: for any traffic, which arrives on External interface of firewall, destines for 22.214.171.124, firewall will translate the source address to 126.96.36.199 and destination address to 172.16.9.10
The configuration on vCloud Director (I use centOS with 2 NICs and default gateway 172.16.8.1):
- Set the external proxy IP to 188.8.131.52 in the vCloud Director management portal
- Add static route in centOS: Send traffic to 172.16.9.2 if the destination address is 184.108.40.206
1. Ever annoyed by trying to access “Ctrl+Alt+Delete” inside RDP connection? I was until I found this:
“Ctrl+Alt+End” == “Ctrl+Alt+Delete” inside RDP!!!
One another questions though, what if you use an Apply keyboard?
2. Ever annoyed by trying to delete the typo from H3C or 3COM switch CLI via telnet/ssh in putty? Backspace doesnot work. The key sequence has to be changed to Ctrl-H in putty session profile.
3. Ever annoyed by clicking VM-Guest-Send “Ctrl-Alt-Del” to get a windows login prompt in vSphere? Try to use “Ctrl-Alt-Insert” next time from keyboard directly.
Host OS: Windows 8.1
Virtualization: VMware workstation v10 (have not tried in vSphere yet)
VM: Cisco NX-OS Simulator
Serial Connection Client: KiTTY (PuTTY will work just fine)
Step 1. Start the VM and open virtual machine settings windows.
Step 2. Add a Serial Port and select “Output to named pipe” when prompted
Step 3. Make sure settings are similar to screenshot below and click Finish.
Step 4. Power on VM and launch KiTTY and open a serial connection like below.